Can a traceability system really help you run your business and compete?
As companies strive for ISO or GFSI certification such as SQF and BRC, they look to replace their manual and Excel based traceability systems with more robust solutions that offer easy to maintain one up and one down traceability compliance. There are so many options in the market place–from standalone traceability solutions or custom traceability applications, to third party add-on programs or fully integrated traceability ERP. How can you decide what is right for your company?
Don’t let a traceability solution limit your Return on Investment (ROI)
When your traceability solution is one aspect of a fully integrated business management solution, a solid return on investment (ROI) is a reality you can expect.
The areas of the business that have to join together to give you traceability are purchasing (raw materials or finished goods if a distributor), inventory control, manufacturing (what lots went into what) and shipping/invoicing to know which customers received which products.
While many technology options are available to tackle that flow or pieces of that flow, there are some solutions such as traceability ERP which allow you to get beyond this operational flow. Here are three areas where such a traceability ERP solution could offer advantages beyond just traceability.
Advantages for Inventory Control
– System can rotate inventory based on FIFO or First to Expire. Suggested lots for picking on batch sheets and pick tickets improve productivity and minimize costs associated with short shelf life or expired product.
– Sales order pick tickets can include special criteria such as minimum shelf life to ensure customer satisfaction and avoid the hassles and cost of returned product
– Lead times, min/max levels, batch sizes, material requirements planning (MRP) can assist purchasing and contribute to optimum order fulfillment, reduced labour costs and inventory outlay.
Advantages for Administration
– Time savings for lab and QC when the system generates certificates of analysis based on the specific lots shipped to customers.
– Flexibility to handle a variety of pricing structures along with bulk management tools.
– Track discounts and costs associated with marketing and rebate programs as part of your standard invoicing process.
Advantages for Management
– Costing becomes more accurate and is available quickly when the system calculates product costs seamlessly including labour, overhead, duty, brokerage, etc.
– Profitability across customers and across products is immediately available with and without the impact of marketing/rebate programs.
– Real time, relevant information with reduced administration requirements
Traceability helps you track products, ensure safe goods for your customers and gain larger accounts. Productivity improvements and better information overall help small to mid-sized companies succeed, react to trends and changes in industry requirements and generally be able to compete with the big players.
If your traceability solution is not tracking all incoming, work in progress and finished goods information easily and with minimal entry by staff or if it isn’t providing benefits beyond satisfying one up/one down requirements, perhaps it’s time to consider options.
The Minotaur Business Solution is a system that can be used in the office, warehouse, on the plant floor as well as from tablets and other internet enabled handheld devices. Our customers will tell you that one solution is a better way!